As a student of the University of Redlands, you are entitled to a free 1-year license of ArcGIS for Desktop (10.x). The licensing of the software can be confusing because of Esri’s user account systems so we have put this post together to help ease the process.
Before you download and license your 1-year license of ArcGIS for Desktop you will need:
- An Esri Global Account (this is NOT a University-issued account that you may have received for class)
Go to https://accounts.esri.com/signup and enter the required information. Esri’s system will send you an email to complete your profile and activate your account. *You may need to logout of your organization account before you can do this*
- An Authorization Code provided by the Center for Spatial Studies
Contact the Center for Spatial Studies at ude.s1503468218dnald1503468218er@se1503468218iduts1503468218laita1503468218ps1503468218 and request a Student Edition Authorization (EVA) Code
Download and Install the Software
Once you have the required both: 1) an Esri Global Account and 2) an Authorization (EVA) Code, go to the ArcGIS for Desktop Student Trial Webpage (link below) and login with your Esri Global Account. * You may have to logout of the university organization account first*
When prompted, enter the Authorization Number to access the download screen.
Next, select which version of ArcGIS Desktop you wish to download.
Next, click the download button to download the ArcGIS for Desktop software.
Install and Authorize
How do I install and authorize the software?
Follow these steps to install ArcGIS 10.2.x for Desktop:
- If not already installed, download and install the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. This is required to install ArcGIS for Desktop.
- Ensure that you have uninstalled any previous versions of ArcGIS for Desktop or ArcGIS for Server before running the setup. Under Uninstall Existing ArcGIS Software, click Detect Conflicts to remove previous versions.
- Extract the ArcGIS for Desktop download file and run setup.exe if the program does not launch automatically.
- Click Next and accept the license agreement. Choose Complete and click Next. Click Next to accept all default settings, then click Finish.
Follow these steps to authorize the software:
- Select ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced (Single Use), and click Authorize Now.
- Verify the software you selected is listed at the top of the box. Click OK.
- Select I have installed my software and need to authorize it. Click Next.
- Select Authorize with Esri now using the Internet. Click Next. If you do not have an Internet connection on the computer you intend to install the software on, you can authorize the software using another computer that has Internet access or via e-mail.
- Enter your personal information (2 panels). Click Next on both.
- When prompted, accept the default, I do not wish to authorize any extensions at this time. The extensions will be authorized automatically.
- Enter your 12-character authorization number (EVAxxxxxxxxx), and click Next.
- After the authorization process is complete, click Finish. Authorization typically takes between 30 seconds and 2 minutes.
- Click OK to close the ArcGIS Administrator. The software is ready to use.
← All Resources