Installing ArcGIS For Desktop 10.2.2
ArcGIS Desktop is a suite of applications and tools for mapping, analyzing, and managing geographic data created by Redland’s own Esri (located just a couple miles from campus!). As a student or employee of the University of Redlands, you are entitled to a copy of Esri’s ArcGIS Desktop along with several extensions including Spatial Analyst, 3D Analyst, and Network Analyst. Installing and licensing ArcGIS requires that you be on a computer connected and authenticated on the University’s network. After ArcGIS is installed, you may decide to “borrow” a license for up to one year for off-campus.
Before installing, you must first fill out and submit an Esri Use Agreement which describes the use policies and restrictions for Esri software and data. Also, please review the system requirements. While ArcGIS Desktop requires a Windows operating system, it can be installed on a Mac in a virtual machine environment by using software such as Boot Camp.
If you have a version of ArcGIS older than version 10.1 (10.0, 9.x, 8.x, etc): Using Windows, copy the link below into the File Explorer address bar and hit enter. Any versions at or above 10.1 will be installed as an update and do not require you to uninstall.
Installing ArcGIS Desktop
- Using Windows, copy the link below into the File Explorer address bar and hit enter.
- A setup wizard will be displayed to guide you through the setup steps. Follow the steps to install ArcGIS Desktop. We highly recommend that you use the Complete install type and accept all of the default destination folder locations. Please note that the install process may take up to 45 minutes or longer for some users.
- Users that are updating from 10.1 or above may skip this step. If this is the first time you are installing ArcGIS on this computer, the ArcGIS Administrator Wizard dialog is displayed.
a) Select Advanced (ArcInfo) Concurrent Use from the list of software products.
b) Click the Change… button under License Manager (for Concurrent Use software products) and enter licensesvr2.redlands.edu in the box.
- You may now use ArcGIS! Please keep in mind that ArcGIS generally requires a connection to the University of Redlands network to license successfully. If you are installing on a laptop or plan to use this computer off the campus network, please see our page on how to borrow an ArcGIS Desktop license.
There are some optional software installs included with ArcGIS Desktop that are less commonly installed but the links are provided below if you would like to install them:
- ArcGIS Background Geoprocessing (64-bit) – \\CSS-FS.redlands.edu\SpatialStudies\Resources\Software\ArcGIS 10.2.2\ArcGIS_Desktop\Desktop\BackgroundGP\Setup.exe
- ArcSDE for Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express (Personal) – \\CSS-FS.redlands.edu\SpatialStudies\Resources\Software\ArcGIS 10.2.2\ArcGIS_Desktop\Desktop\ArcSDE_Personal\Setup.exe
- ArcGIS Data Interoperability – \\CSS-FS.redlands.edu\SpatialStudies\Resources\Software\ArcGIS 10.2.2\ArcGIS_Desktop\Desktop\DataInterop\Setup.exe
- ArcGIS Data Reviewer – \\CSS-FS.redlands.edu\SpatialStudies\Resources\Software\ArcGIS 10.2.2\ArcGIS_Desktop\Desktop\DataReviewer\setup.exe
- ArcGIS Workflow Manager – \\CSS-FS.redlands.edu\SpatialStudies\Resources\Software\ArcGIS 10.2.2\ArcGIS_Desktop\Desktop\WorkflowManager\setup.exe
- ArcObjects SDK for Microsoft .NET Framework – \\CSS-FS.redlands.edu\SpatialStudies\Resources\Software\ArcGIS 10.2.2\ArcGIS_Desktop\Desktop\SDK_dotnet\Setup.exe
- ArcObjects SDK for Java – \\CSS-FS.redlands.edu\SpatialStudies\Resources\Software\ArcGIS 10.2.2\ArcGIS_Desktop\Desktop\SDK_java\Setup.exe
If you have any questions or problems regarding the install, please contact the Center for Spatial Studies at email@example.com